Sunday, October 26, 2008

Money No Enough 2

Well bite me, I'm slow.

I just watched the show and I have two things to say about it.

Firstly, I think Jack Neo has the knack of sifting the worst out of Singaporeans and throwing it on the table for all to see. I also think he totally went crazy with it this time. Apt topic - the true test of filial piety in hard, unforgiving times such as this. This I'm sure is an issue that plagues many post WW2 old folk (probably shortens their life just thinking about it). And I do honestly wonder how many of my generation nowadays, and indeed those after, would experience the same deep injustice and indignance I felt at the portrayed actions, and how many would absolutely agree with the teen daughter in the film that visiting an old dying lady in ICU is a waste of valuable time that could have been better spent at Zara or Zouk. What worries me the most is that for all the indignance I feel now at the characters' abandonment of their loving mother, I have such a long future ahead of me that I can't even say for certain that 'never will I do something as despicable as this'.

Secundo, my respect goes to the ladies and gentlemen who have let their characters get killed off, act unceremoniously dead, and have their photographs stuck on hearse vans. This generation of people wouldn't be caught dead writing their name on a small brick paperweight because your name on stone means you have already, as they in the army love to say, gone up the lorry. And it speaks of a deep maturity I think, that these older folk recognise that there are values and messages to be communicated to a changing public that trump the most logical of superstitions. For that, I e-salute them.

1 comment:

JJ said...

Let me just say. You are right. You hit the nail right on the head. I would also like to add that this is unrealistic to the point of satire. Seriously. No one takes it seriously if his point is going to feel like you're being beaten over the head with it. YOU MUST RESPECT YOUR MOTHER YOUR MOTHER RESPECT HER NOW RESPECT! YOU! FRAKING! RESPECT! No one wants to be TOLD what to do. They want to be intellectually stimulated enough to want to do it on their own accord. Obviously somewhere in the multi thousand dollar budget they scrounged up from between the seats of Jack Neo's S-Class, they forgot to give a couple of dollars TO A GOOD SCRIPT WRITER! *fumes* I love the grandma though She's the best as yet undiscovered actress I've ever seen.