Friday, March 30, 2007

About that smoking ad...

南洋之子: Singapore anti smoking TV ads receives bad review

So here's my (family's) take on the new smoking ad.

It's unbelievable.

If you can gross people out and make them stop smoking, then I say play it on all channels in 4 languages at 7:30pm sharp. And make her drool blood as she speaks too.

The fact is, it is disturbing, but without effect. How would rotten gums and sore-ridden lips persuade anyone against smoking? For one the poor actress who did this is slurring as her character. I mean yeah show the oh-so-horrifying effects of smoking and mouth cancer (or gum cancer I forgot the exact body part), but remember it is an advertisement. It is as easy to lose attention as it is to gain. Who enjoying their dinner or walking around the house or even with a remote control would bother to listen to a nauseating looking girl slur???

Also, like my mother promptly commented, totally unaffected, the make-up was just so exaggerated. Now you may say wtf you retard that's what really happens you smoke and see whether exaggerated or not la dickhead. I agree. I won't even put down an opinion on whether that really happens simply because I dunno. And I'm not going to try. But the fact remains that my mother's and my reactions were so, that it was exaggerated and unbelievable. The facts can smoke their faces black - the ad's failed because we believed it to be unbelievable. The message didn't reach us. Smokers will continue puffing. Non-smokers won't be anymore dissuaded from lighting their first stick.

This isn't the first time for Singaporean PSAs. Remember the drink-driving campaign? Drinking shatters lives! Get the picture?!

Sigh.

No comments: